
There are 3 different levels for the Wilton classes and then an additional gum paste class. If I seriously want to take all three courses then I need to buy lots of supplies. I am hoping that this might turn into a part-time gig. I would LOVE to create cakes for birthdays, weddings, or other events some day.
Since I do think that I am going to continue to pursue this avenue I decided that I need to buy more than just the course 1 student kit.

The student kit includes these items: Flower Nail #7, Tip Brush, 2 Standard Couplers, Decorator Brush, Tips #3, 12, 16, 21, 104, 67 and 2D, Small Spatula, Practice Board Set, 2 Featherweight Decorating Bags and 1 Disposable Decorating Bag.
However, a fellow classmate told us that it is a better deal to spend a little more money to buy the 50 set tool caddy that includes everything needed in course 1 and more. After doing some research (and creating a spreadsheet to compare the equipment), I think I decided to buy the 101 set tool caddy that includes more then I will ever need. I think I will have to buy some more things for course 2 and 3 but at least I will have options with the more expensive caddy.
So my homework assignment for this week is to make a cake and ice it. Our instructor showed us how to make the icing and put it on the cake so that it didn't leave crumbs. She must have made mentioned about buying and using the meringue powder at least 20 times. If somebody forgets that important step in the icing process then they weren't paying attention at all. I am going to work on making the cake on Tuesday and icing it. Now I just need to decide whether I should spend the time to bake a homemade cake or just buy the box cake. I'll post pictures of my beautiful cake after I bake and ice it.
I'm super excited to get started. I am glad I decided to do this, it seems like it will be a fun challenge.

No comments:
Post a Comment