I bought the big daddy of decorating tool kits:

and an 8 x 3 inch round pan:

I have to get used to this pan since it takes much longer to fully bake cakes. Around the bottom of my pan I put Wilton's Bake Even Strips. It is suppose to create evenly leveled, moist cakes that don't crack on the top.

OH I forgot to mention, that I had accidently took off a giant piece of my cake when I torted it. Luckily, I was able to fix it with a big glob of icing.
After the cake cooled I need to level the cake using a cake leveler. I then torted and filled my cake with icing and chocolate mousse.

Let's talk about the icing now. Wilton's buttercream icing is better than the other store bought cans because it becomes a little bit hard as it sets. My instructor recommended a "crumb coat" first by just applying a small amount of icing all over the cake.

After about an hour, you can start putting the rest of the icing on. The instructor also provided a good tip about quickly dipping the spatula into hot water in order to create a smooth layer of icing. I think I did a pretty decent job of applying super smooth icing after about 30 minutes of re-smoothing every inch of my cake.
Smooth!

OH I forgot to mention, that I had accidently took off a giant piece of my cake when I torted it. Luckily, I was able to fix it with a big glob of icing.
After the cake cooled I need to level the cake using a cake leveler. I then torted and filled my cake with icing and chocolate mousse.

Let's talk about the icing now. Wilton's buttercream icing is better than the other store bought cans because it becomes a little bit hard as it sets. My instructor recommended a "crumb coat" first by just applying a small amount of icing all over the cake.

After about an hour, you can start putting the rest of the icing on. The instructor also provided a good tip about quickly dipping the spatula into hot water in order to create a smooth layer of icing. I think I did a pretty decent job of applying super smooth icing after about 30 minutes of re-smoothing every inch of my cake.
Smooth!

The post of my finished cake will be up soon. I can't wait to show you my finished work! Isn't the anticipation killing you?

No comments:
Post a Comment